I have never thought about it in this context
that’s actually really, really creepy.
I once pointed this out to my mother and she just stared at me, in stunned silence for ages.
you see this?
it’s called a razor
if you’re a girl, USE IT
your hairy legs and armpits aren’t cute okay
you’re not helping out for woman’s rights or anything
YOU’RE JUST MAKING YOURSELF LOOK NASTY
Women have been socialized to believe that they must remove hair for a number of reasons, primarily the following:
- hair is historically and Biblically associated with power; we as a patriarchal culture are obsessed with keeping hair on men (facial hair, Hair Club for Men, hair plugs, whatever) and keeping it off women. You say hair on women is nasty; why is it only hair on women? Women and men have the same pubic hair. We all grow it out of our follicles for the same reason. Why is it only gross on women?
- women’s bodies have been considered the property of men since the dawn of time, and therefore we have been held to a standard of beauty and attractiveness that is not determined by us but is instead determined by something called the male gaze, which is erases all sexualities and genders other than cisgender heterosexual men and assumes that women are performing for it.
- childlike women are considered less “threatening” and more “feminine” because they are naive, quiet, and rely on ~*adult men*~ to take care of them.
- there is a fallacy about pubic hair that it is dirty. It is not dirty. In fact, it’s there to keep your genitals cleaner. Pubic hair and armpit hair are also there to spread your pheromones around and make it easier for you to attract a mate.
- all mammals have hair. We’re mammals.
- No one else’s body is your business. Ever. You want to shave? Go ahead! That’s totally your prerogative and if you’re more comfortable shaving, feel free. But given that pubic hair isn’t innately dirty, there’s no reason for anyone to remove it if they don’t want to.
You’re not sending out some edgy, hardcore message here. You’re just reinforcing what our culture wants you to reinforce. Before you pick up that razor again, think about why you want to shave. Is it just because our culture told you to? Why’d they tell you to? What’s the point?
Do what makes you comfortable and what makes you happy, and let others do the same.
Not to mention that at least in the US, shaving legs and underarms has been a thing for less than a century.
And was popularized by razor and depilatory companies. Who, of course, just wanted to double their sales by targeting women as well as men. Their marketing campaigns started in women’s magazines in 1915.
Here’s the first advertisement they ran trying to sell razors by telling women their underarm hair was “objectionable”. And it worked.
Advertising and commercialism once again enforcing arbitrary restrictions on women’s bodies~
Yes I am reblogging this again. Because of what the above person added. It’s so interesting to learn how customs come about in a culture.
30 Days of Shipping
Day 4: The pairing with the most chemistry.
Get it? Chemistry? Kyle and Jessi? X)
Anyways, out of all the couples I ship, there isn’t any other one quite like Kyle and Jessi. Not just because of the whole super human, science experiments thing, but the connection between them is just… wow. They’re polar opposites, personality wise, and yet they’re exactly the same. There’s no one else in the world who could understand them the way they understand each other, and that’s why I ship them so hard.
Plus, I just think that Jessi deserves to be with Kyle. Out of the two of them, she’s kind of had it the roughest. I mean, the first person she came into contact with after she escaped from Zzyxz tried to attack her, Madacorp turned her into their human puppet, her dad was an asshole, and then once she was finally happy and with her mom, Cassidy took that away too. Oh yeah, and let’s not forget that she tried to kill herself three times in season two alone. After all that, don’t you think she at least deserves to be with the guy she likes?
Quite frankly, I don’t care what anyone else says. In my mind, Kyle and Jessi eventually ended up together, got married, had a beautiful baby girl named Sarah, and lived happily ever after, while making the world a better place together.
HELP US SAVE KYLE XY SERIES AND KESSI, EVEN THE AMANDA AND KYLE LOVE TEAM!! IT DOESN’T MATTER HOW OLD THEY ARE NOW.. WE JUST WANT OUR FAVORITE SHOW BACK! I WILL SIGN UP FOR ANY PETITION!!
UNITED TO GET THE SHOW BACK!
Oh, thank God! Even the writers called that whole Kyle/Amanda ordeal ‘puppy love’!!
And, regardless of the whole flying solo ending they’d planned, Kyle woulda gone with Jessi!!! Not Amanda! BOO YAH!
If this gets 3 million notes I’ll make a dress out of these
And wear it to the nearest major city
SIGNAL BOOST AND IF IT GETS TO FOUR MILLION YOU’VE GOT TO MAKE A TIARA THAT MATCHES.
YOU’RE GONNA REGRET PUTTING THIS ON TUMBLR
OMG I’VE NOT BEEN THIS EXCITED SINCE THE FLUFFY CHICKEN POST
#that time in Doomsday when Jackie says there was never anyone else #and the Doctor looks down and then to the right #remembering how Rose tastes #then remembering how she feels writhing on the bed as he tries in vain to still her hips with his manly forearm resting on her belly #but no emotional memory #that shit’s too repressed
#he can’t help it #he’s so used to loss that he puts memories in these sort of little boxes where they can be filed away out of sight #and it’s useful but what it leaves him with are sensory memories that give him vague twinges of feeling #the little sigh rose gives when she settles onto him #the feel of her skin when she’s fresh out of the shower and still a little slick—all covered in droplets #the way her mouth falls open and her eyes flutter shut when he finds the right angle inside of her #and he is usually very good at knowing how to look at these memories objectively #and enjoy them for what they are without feeling them too much #but her smile sets his blood turning to champagne #all light and bubbling #and the very thought of her tugs at his hearts #so it’s all the more important to keep her safe #his rose—safe and happy #because if he ever had to close those boxes #to put her memory away #he’s got the horrible feeling he wouldn’t know how (tags via neverwhyonlywho)
Notice I changed my icon? Yeah. He looks really lovely here. He looks like he would at home. Like a regular guy. I love regular guys.
I don’t know who posted this. It was from here. I grabbed it ages ago.